- How to Check on the Status of an IRS Tax Return
- How Much Money Needs to Be Withheld in Order to Receive a Tax Refund?
- How to Look Up Tax Return Information From a Previous Year
- How to Track an Income Tax Return
- How to Find Out When You Will Receive Your State Tax Refund
- When Is a State Tax Refund Considered Taxable Income?
Alabama provides two automated methods to receive information about your state income tax refund 24 hours a day. The quickest option is the online system, but if you prefer to check your refund status by phone, a refund hotline is available. Each system requires information from your state return, so you'll need to have a copy handy.
Check Refund Status OnlineStep 1
Visit the Alabama Department of Revenue website. Click the "Divisions and Services" tab and select "Individual and Corporate Tax."
Choose the "Individual and Corporate Tax" menu from the Individual and Corporate Tax page and select "Refund Status."
Enter your Social Security number, select the tax form and filing status shown on your return, and enter the amount of your state refund.
Click the "Submit" button. You'll receive the status of your refund in the submission results.
Refund Status by PhoneStep 1
Call the Alabama Refund Hotline at 800-558-3912. Follow the voice prompts and enter the number that matches the Alabama Income tax form you filed. The system will confirm all entries, so if you enter the wrong code, you'll have a chance to change your response.
Enter your Social Security number. If you're married and file a joint state tax return, enter the number that appears first on the return.
Listen to the voice prompts and choose the code that matches your tax-filing status.
Enter your expected Alabama state refund amount, as shown on your return. Use whole dollar amounts only; don't include any cents. Press the pound sign after your entry. After you enter your refund amount, the system lists any information available about your refund.
Items you will need
- Copy of your Alabama state income tax return.
- If the system tells you the department doesn't have your return, double-check your entries to ensure they match the return you filed.