How Much Social Security Tax Do You Have to Pay?

You usually don't report Social Security taxes on your income tax return.

tax forms image by Chad McDermott from

The Social Security tax is one part of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act, or FICA, taxes that your employer withholds from your paycheck. The Social Security tax includes not only the portion you pay, but an additional portion your employer pays on your behalf. As of 2012, the employee portion is 4.2 percent and the employer portion is 6.2 percent. If you're self-employed, you pay both portions. However, it doesn't always apply to all of your income.

Only Earned Income

The Social Security tax applies to earned income, such as your salary or wages. It does not apply to unearned income such as investment income or retirement plan distributions. For example, if you have $90,000 in wages, $10,000 in rental income and $5,000 in capital gains and dividends, you pay the Social Security tax on the $90,000 of earned income.

Annual Limit

The Social Security tax applies to a maximum amount of earned income each year. As of 2012, the limit is set at $110,100. Each year, the limit adjusts to account for inflation. If you have more earned income than the annual limit, you don't have to pay the Social Security tax on that portion of your income. For example, if in 2012 you have $150,100 in earned income, you have to pay the Social Security tax on the first $110,100.

Self-Employment Taxes Offset

If you work as both an employee and for yourself, you pay the Social Security tax on your employment income first. For example, assume the Social Security limit is $115,000 and you have $100,000 of wage income and $50,000 of self-employment income. You would pay the Social Security tax on the $100,000 of employment income and only the first $15,000 of self-employment income. This saves money because when you're paying the Social Security tax on self-employment income, you pay both the employee and employer shares.

Excess Withholding

If you have had too much money withheld from your paycheck for Social Security taxes, you should talk to your employer and request a refund of the excess if you only work one job. If your employer refuses, file Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement. If you work multiple jobs, your employers may withhold too much because they are unaware of the additional withholding. For example, if your Social Security limit is $115,000 and you earn $100,000 at each of your two jobs, your employers will both withhold Social Security taxes on your entire salary. You claim a tax credit for the amount of the excess withholding on your Form 1040 tax return.

Photo Credits

About the Author

Based in the Kansas City area, Mike specializes in personal finance and business topics. He has been writing since 2009 and has been published by "Quicken," "TurboTax," and "The Motley Fool."

Zacks Investment Research

is an A+ Rated BBB

Accredited Business.