How to Change the Birth Date on a Tax Return

If you cannot resolve a birth date discrepancy, file a paper return.

tax forms image by Chad McDermott from

If you file your taxes using a paper return, you will not need to include your birth date on it. When you file electronically, however, the Internal Revenue Service uses your birth date to help verify your Social Security Number. If you somehow mistype your birth date and it does not match the Social Security Administration records, the IRS will reject your return because of the discrepancy. Changing your birth date on the return is quick and easy.

Step 1

Go to the Personal Information section of your return. As with a printed Form 1040, personal information appears at the beginning of the return.

Step 2

Re-enter your birth date correctly.

Step 3

Re-submit the return to the IRS and wait to hear whether it has been accepted.