What to Do When You Forget to Add Married Name to Taxes?

If you used the wrong last name to file your income taxes, you must file an amended return.

tax time image by Gale Distler from Fotolia.com

When you file your income tax return electronically, the Internal Revenue Service verifies your personal information before accepting the return. The IRS matches your name and Social Security number with the Social Security Administration records and accepts your return only if the name and numbers match. Generally, if you forgot to use your married name and filed electronically, the IRS will reject your return, allowing you to make the change and resubmit. If you filed your return through the mail, you must file an amended return to fix the error.

Step 1

Gather a copy of your previously filed income tax return and Form 1040-X. as well as the 1040-X instructions from the IRS website.

Step 2

Check the box on Form 1040-X that pertains to the tax year you are amending.

Step 3

Enter your personal information in the top section of the form. Make sure to use your married name instead of your maiden name.

Step 4

Check the "Married Filing Jointly" or "Married Filing Separately" box to select a filing status. Refer to your previously filed tax return to verify the correct filing status.

Step 5

Skip down to "Part III" and enter "Filed original tax return using maiden name" in the field provided.

Step 6

Sign and date the form. Mail Form 1040-X to the address listed on the 1040-X instructions.