How to Get Lost Savings Bonds Reissued

The government will replace lost savings bonds.

savings bonds image by judwick from

Savings bonds provide a guaranteed return on investment if you hold them until their maturity date. You purchase the bond for a discounted price and can cash in the bond later for the price you paid plus interest. Series EE and I bonds can earn interest for 30 years. Because you register the bond under your name at the time of purchase, you can get a new bond if yours is lost, either through carelessness or in a disaster such as a fire or flood.

Step 1

Log on to the TreasuryDirect website and download form PDF 1048 -- Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed United States Savings Bond. Print the form.

Step 2

Fill out the form. Provide as much information as possible about the lost bond, including the Social Security number of the person who purchased the bond and the bond serial number, if you know it. You’ll also need to provide information about what happened to the bond and your personal information. Check the box requesting a substitute bond. The owner of the bond must sign the form; if there are two owners, both must sign.

Step 3

Mail the completed form to Bureau of the Public Debt, P.O. Box 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012.