How to Cash a Savings Bond in My Maiden Name

By: Kathryn Hatter

Savings bonds are yours to cash, even when you change your name in marriage.

savings bonds image by judwick from

When you’re looking for a low-risk investment that will deliver solid results, U.S. savings bonds may be the ideal vehicle. You can count on a fixed rate of return as long as you hold onto the bonds for a minimum period. The federal government knows that name changes are common, so as long as you produce the necessary documentation, you won’t have problems if you want to cash a savings bond that shows your maiden name.

Step 1

Check your bond to make sure it’s eligible for payment. According to the Treasury Direct website, you have to retain a bond for six months if it has an issue date prior to February 2003 and for 12 months if it has an issue date of later than February 2003.

Step 2

Take your Series E, EE or I bond to your own bank, if possible. When you cash a savings bond at a bank with which you have an account, the bank has an easier time identifying you. If you don’t have an active account at a bank, bring suitable documentation to prove your identity – passport, driver’s license, Social Security card or state identification card. Regardless of where you cash the bond, bring your birth certificate (showing your maiden name) and marriage certificate to validate the discrepancy between your maiden name and married name.

Step 3

Sign the bond with your legal married name in the presence of a bank representative. It’s okay if your signature doesn’t include your maiden name and if it doesn’t match your maiden name on the face of the bond. Your signature needs to match your identification, not the bond.

Step 4

Explain the discrepancy to the bank representative, providing your documentation that proves your name change from your maiden name to your married name. The bank representative will examine the documents and make a note near your signature to validate the signature.

Items you will need

  • Identification


  • If you are cashing a bond with a value of more than $1,000, you must take it to your own bank where you have an active account, according to federal requirements.


About the Author

Kathryn Hatter is a veteran home-school educator, as well as an accomplished gardener, quilter, crocheter, cook, decorator and digital graphics creator. As a regular contributor to Natural News, many of Hatter's Internet publications focus on natural health and parenting. Hatter has also had publication on home improvement websites such as Redbeacon.

Photo Credits

Zacks Investment Research

is an A+ Rated BBB

Accredited Business.