How Do I Get a Copy of a Social Security Earnings Report?

By: Alia Nikolakopulos

In the past, the Social Security Administration sent an annual statement of your earnings to you by mail. In 2011, the administration discontinued this service to workers younger than age 60. However, you can still access a basic earnings report for free online or request one by mail. A basic report lists your combined earnings for each year you have worked and paid Social Security tax on your wages. If you require more information, you can order detailed or certified copies of your earnings for a fee.

Basic Report

Step 1

Go to the administration's website and click the link "Get Your Social Security Statement Online."

Step 2

Create an account by clicking the "Create an Account" link. You'll provide personal information such as your name, Social Security number, address and phone number. The administration uses this information to confirm your identity and access your account. You must provide information the agency has on file, so if you've moved recently, use your old address when you register.

Step 3

Log in to your account to access your Social Security earnings report. As part of the registration process, you'll create a user name and password for the account. Once you've created your account, you can access it anytime.

Detailed or Certified Report

Step 1

Obtain SSA Form 7050. Go to the Social Security website and type "7050" in the search field or use the "Get a Form" menu on the site and type "7050" in the number field.

Step 2

Complete the form, including your personal information, and indicate whether you want detailed or certified information. A detailed report includes more data about your earnings and can be used when a discrepancy arises. In most cases, certified reports are not necessary, unless you're involved in a court or legal proceeding in which your earnings report is relevant.

Step 3

Calculate your fee, using the table on Form 7050. In most cases, you must pay a fee for each year you request information. As of 2012, the fee for the first year of records is $15.00. For each additional year you're requesting, add another $2.50. However, if you're requesting the information for personal use, such as comparing your records, write the reason in Section 2 of the form. In this case, the agency doesn't charge a fee. An additional fee of $15 is required for each certified copy you request. This fee is not included in the fee table.

Step 4

Mail your form and fee. The address you use to send the form depends on the mailing method you use. If you mail the form by U.S. mail, send it to: Social Security Administration Division of Earnings Record Operations P.O. Box 33003 Baltimore, MD 21290-3003 If you send the form by a non-U.S. mail method: Social Security Administration Division of Earnings Record Operations 300 N. Greene St. Baltimore, MD 21290-0300


  • If you don't want to create an online account to access your basic Social Security statement, download Form 7004 and mail it to:
  • Social Security Administration
  • Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center
  • P.O. Box 7004
  • Wilkes Barre, PA 18767-7004
  • Your statement will arrive within in four to six weeks from the date the administration receives your request.



About the Author

With a background in taxation and financial consulting, Alia Nikolakopulos has over a decade of experience resolving tax and finance issues. She is an IRS Enrolled Agent and has been a writer for these topics since 2010. Nikolakopulos is pursuing Bachelor of Science in accounting at the Metropolitan State University of Denver.

Zacks Investment Research

is an A+ Rated BBB

Accredited Business.