How to Replace Lost Bonds

The Treasury Department can replace your lost savings bonds.

Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images

Sometimes you can’t find a lost savings bond or corporate bond no matter how hard you look. You can get the bonds replaced by contacting either the Department of the Treasury or the corporation that issued the bonds. With just a little bit of information, the bonds can be replaced for free or at a nominal charge.

Step 1

Go to if you cannot find a lost savings bond. Scroll down the homepage to the "Forms" link located in the right-hand margin. Click on the link, which takes you to the "Forms" page. Go to the "Forms for Individual/Personal Use" heading and click on the "Savings Bonds" link underneath it. Scroll down the page until you see the "Claim Forms heading and find "Form PDF 1048, Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed United States Savings Bonds." You can opt to receive the form by mail, or you can complete the form online.

Step 2

Click on the PDF link in the right-hand column to bring up the fillable form. Fill in as much information as possible, then print out the form. The claim form must bear a Medallion stamp, a financial institution’s official stamp or seal, or signature guarantee stamp, so do not sign the form until you are in front of a financial officer. When the financial officer affixes one of the three stamps on the claim form, the officer is saying he has verified your identity. A notary stamp is not acceptable. Call the financial institution where you bank and ask when you can come in and what documents you need to bring.

Step 3

Make a copy of the stamped claim form before mailing it. Send the claim form for Series E, EE and I bonds to Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Public Debt, P.O. Box 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012. Send the claim form for Series H or HH bonds to Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Public Debt, P.O. Box 2186, Parkersburg, WV 26106-2186. Be sure to send the claim form via FedEx, UPS or USPS, registered mail, so the document can be traced.

Step 4

For lost corporate bonds, gather as much information as possible and contact the company’s shareholder relations department for information on how to file your lost bond claim. Send the claim form using a traceable mailing service.